Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Month in the Colonies

Well it has been 1 month now and I am feel very much settled into life in Australia. I have done a lot since my last entry. I have a flat, sorry apartment, a job and a bank account, where I only have to pay the bank $5 of my own money a month for them to keep my money- bargain.

3 weekend ago I went to a place called Apollo bay on the Great Ocean Road, some commemoration to the Great Apollo Creed I thought, until I got there to find no gold statue, but rather a quaint little seaside town. It was a bit like Whitby but without the polystyrene chip containers thrown on the floor or the menacing thunder clouds hovering in the skies. As it was out of season it was nice and quiet. We had booked a shallay(not in the Butlins sense) on the cliffs overlooking the sea. It had everything, kitchen and utensils, spa and even satellite TV, suffice to say I was in my element. I got to grips with the remote control a lot easier than I did with the real log fire, that’s’ for sure. I don’t know what it is about them but they are obsessive. When you get thing started you are paranoid that the damn thing is going to go out. The TV was right beside the fire and on many occasion I would find my eyes drifting over to check the thing was still alight (this would not do!). Any way, with brilliant craftsmanship with kindling, expert wood retrieval and enough fire lighters to set half of Australia’s bush alight in the winter months, I was able to get the thing going and heat the room for a sustained period of time. On my time outs from manning the fire we went to a number of exciting things, like waterfalls, light houses and tree top walks, but you had to be there and my grasp of English isn’t good enough to do them justice. You will really get a sense when I post the picture, of which I have many.

The weekend after I attended my first Ozzie Rules Match, or as they call it, football. It was Geelong versus Hawthorn and for all those that don’t know, both teams did crap this season, and were playing for nothing more than pride. And as it was a trouncing by Hawthorn it would see Geelong had none. The game was quite exciting, well as exciting as you can get when one team is leading by over 50 points. The most notable thing I can remember, apart from the 100 gram bag of ‘chip shop salt and vinegar crisps’ I managed to get through, was the good humour in the game and a sense of good feeling in the crowd. Something you can only hope will change in the future. Also noticeable was the quality of the reasonably priced pies, sorry, Bigtime but no Bovril.

Any way, we have moved into our new gaff, in a place called Fitzroy, just 3 Km north of the city centre. It is a nice place with an outdoor swimming pool for all the residence to use. I won’t use the pool, but I think I will do my weight training around there. Just need a reliable neighbour to ‘spot’ me. I think I will go knocking on the doors this weekend and ask for volunteers.

Any way I hope all is well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave C - BT said...

good to hear you are developing an interst in fire. I think it's important that everyone has some sort of hobby. People always have a go at arsonists, but I say, no! Let them have their fun. What's the worst that can happen. I suggest that you introduce the Ozzies to a jinni. Perhaps in the out back where the scrub is dry. What do you think?

All the best Koole guy. BT

6:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home