Friday, September 29, 2006

A trip to an Oasis

Hello People

The Blogs are coming thick and fast now. I thought I would let you know about my trip to Mildura, the homeland of the Farrell’s (Belinda, if you didn’t know). It was a Friday evening, after a day’s solid internet abuse, Belinda and I began our drive to Mildura. When I say drive, I actually navigated, which some might say is a far more important role in the journey. The navigating part was relatively easy, as there was only one road and it was predominantly straight, apart from the one turn, which I missed.

I would like to arouse your minds with talk of fabulous scenery and majestic views, but as we were driving at night all I can say is that it was dark, so dark you couldn’t even see the dead kangaroos I was promised. Navigating at night is a difficult task. It is very hard it is to stay awake when all that’s in your vision are cat’s eyes drawing towards you and Australian music on the radio, I was crying out for something familiar, even the Vengaboys would suffice. I would have slept hadn’t Belinda threatened to fall asleep as well and kill us both (out of jealous spite).

Any way, after 6 hours of driving we eventually arrived. It is very disheartening to be in a car for 6 hours and still not leave the state. In the UK, if you drove for that length of time you could travel through 3 countries, however, not if Bigtime was driving, hey Adam. When we got there it was so refreshing to see that teenage drunkards are universal, it was almost like being back in York apart from no obligatory fighting at the cashpoints. However, I took solace in the knowing that Mildura was a young town with possibly another 1000 years or so to mature into a sophisticated society like York.

The next morning was lovely, the weather was in the 30’s and the soil was as red as my face was going to be. Being English, and an ambassador for my country I took the opportunity speed tan. On with the shorts and t shirt and to hell with the sun block these Australians appeared to be so readily applying to themselves. I left my protection in the hands of God’s Ozone Layer.

In Brief Mildura was a lovely place, described as an Oasis, but it was a ‘blur’ to me. After 100’s of km of nothingness it did seem odd that people chose to settle there and set up a town. However, after a day I can see why. It has all the facilities one could want from a town-parks, a river, an obligatory Irish Bar (that’s my favourite word this week), and a well poncy Cafe, whose service I might add was so excrutiatingly slow I was sure they were not just growing the beans but reinventing the concept of coffee.

The most significant part of the weekend was Belinda’s parent’s 40th wedding anniversary. Her sister had managed to organize a complete get together of family and friends. I was able assess myself what kind and the amount of abuse I would receive at Christmas time, during the ashes. All conclusions pointed to a lot. It was small jibe here and there that indicated this to me, but the most conclusive proof came when they admitted there would be severe animosity. I will therefore take them at there word and try and work over Christmas. All joking aside (and I hope they were joking) they were all really nice and friendly and I look forward to heading back (by plane) and watch England stuff the Ozzies in the Boxing day test.

All the best folks

Ps. Angry Anderson was on morning television, I couldn’t believe it. He does loads for Charity. What a great Guy

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave C - BT said...

god bless you angry anderson

1:21 am  
Blogger Dave C - BT said...

update this blog please

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home